Sunday 7 November 2010

2 Silvers and a Bronze

If only we actually got medals, I'd have won six total over the course of the past two meets.

As the title of this post suggests, I had 2 second place finishes this weekend and a third place finish. I'll start with the third place finish, because that is the one that requires the most explaining. I placed third in shot, but despite the numerous technical improvements I have made during my Friday sessions with Coach Barry, these improvements have not yet translated to distance, so my shot put distances are significantly shorter than what they were last season. Let's just say, had I thrown today what I was throwing in May, I would have blown the competition away. Unfortunately that didn't happen, but I am optimistic about the improvements I've made and hopefully they will prove useful this spring. Also, I tweaked my back while throwing discus, which was an hour before shot, so that probably didn't help the situation.

Dur to the back problem, I opted to throw standing throws for my last two throws instead of trying to spin, which seemed to be what caused the tweak in the first place. It's not the same type of injury I had last season. It's an annoying thing to have happen the day of competition, but it's nothing to worry about. Anyway, I came in second thanks to one of my standing throws.

The girl who won discus also beat me in hammer. She's currently 7th in the nation for U20s though so I don't feel as bad. She through the hammer well over 40 meters today. I only got one legal throw in and it was a safe one at that, but it was enough for second. This was the first week I've actually been able to practice throwing hammer, but my turns are a lot faster and more powerful than they were last season. If what I was doing at practice was any indication, hammer this season should be pretty fun.

Overall, the O.U.A.C lost to the C.U.A.C. by 8 points, a very narrow margin. We had 13 girls total with all but one doing multiple events. Each team could only enter two athletes per event, but with only 13 girls, we some people doing at least 4 events. Cambridge appear to have more girls to pick from for their entries. Had we had a bigger team, we might have won. The O.U.A.C has a strong tradition of winning the Varsity Match which will be held in May though, so while a win today would have been nice, May is when it really matters.

Enough about throwing...This week was pretty hectic. I had another positive French tutorial, which was followed by some late night grocery shopping. I found Mountain Dew Energy drinks on sale so I bought some. It tastes almost the same as regular Mountain Dew in the States, definitely better than Diet Mountain Dew. It's funny because the bottles they sell it in are florescent. I haven't checked, but it is quite possible they glow in the dark. They are just that bright. I also bought a chocolate covered apple. It was good, the closest thing I could find to a caramel apple, which I rarely buy in the States, but have sort of been craving lately. They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away...and they never said it couldn't be covered in chocolate :)

Tomorrow we are going to see the play Design for Living and Tuesday I have tentative plans to go to Wales with a couple friends. I'm letting Karina take care of making the itinerary, so I have no idea what we are doing, but hey, it's a day trip and once we get back I can check Wales off the list of places I need to visit while in Europe.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this yet, but I plan to go to Belgium, Switzerland, and the various Scandinavian countries after term ends. That was the original plan, then it occurred to me that a writing vacation in Fiji would be fun, lol. I'm going to stick to the original plan, but warm places are tempting right about now.

Speaking of writing, I'm starting to make some of the revisions, so I can re-submit to that agent. I also heard back from another agent, who wants to read the full manuscript once I've made these particular revisions. Both have shown equal interest, so we'll see what happens, but in the mean time, I have a lot more revising to do.

I can't believe it's November already. Four more weeks of tutorials and then term is over. I can't say it's flown by, but it has been fun so far.

Check back in next weekend to hear about my adventures in Wales.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment