Wednesday 24 October 2012

Week 21: The Next Big Thing

Happy Wednesday!

I'm participating in a game of blog tag. I was tagged by Rachele Alpine. Here's the link to her blog: http://www.rachelealpine.com. Check it out and check out her upcoming novel CANARY.

So how does it work? I talk about my work-in-progress (well, one of them, haha) then tag other writers who will add this to their blog next week.

Here are the answers to the 10 questions about my WIP.




What is the working title of your book?
Podium Finish

Where did the idea come from for the book?
I've always loved sports, especially the Olympics. This idea came to me back in 2006 while watching the Torino Games.
 
What genre does your book fall under?
Young Adult (contemporary)  

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I'd love it if some professional athletes starred in the film. As for actors, not sure. I think Brad Pitt or George Clooney would be great for the coaches.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Harper Kavanaugh, the youngest member of Team USA women's hockey, is 7 months away from making her Olympic debut when she sustains an injury that could derail her Olympic dreams for good.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
This book was self-published under the title of Picking up the Pieces, but I hope to have it represented by an agency, as it has drastically changed since being self-pubbed in 2008. It used to have 5 main characters.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
I have written several drafts since 2006, but the "first draft" took about a year and a half.


What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I guess I'd compare it to other great sports-themed books like the Dairy Queen Series and Chasing Jordan, though those are both about girls playing football.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?
I got the idea while watching the video montages during the 2006 Olympics. These montages would feature the athletes who were competing and would describe their struggles, injuries, and success. I loved watching these as much as the competition and remember thinking "these athletes would make great characters." There weren't many YA sports fiction books out at the time that were geared toward girls, so I wrote the book and haven't been able to get the idea out of my head since, hence the multiple drafts.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Harper is one of my favorite characters I've ever written. She's tomboy with a soft side. She's tough and no-nonsense, but a great friend. She also experiences her first relationship during the book.

Tag you're it!

Check out these blogs.

Brigid Gorry-Hines: http://mylifeasateenagenovelist.blogspot.com

Diana Gallagher: http://dianagallagher.blogspot.com

I can still tag 3 more people, so let me know soon if you're interested. Also, sorry that the links aren't clickable. I don't know how to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment